Monday, July 18, 2011

Girl talk

Last weekend I was sitting in church and I was listening to the sermon. The pastor was preaching to me... Has that every happened to you? It was like no one else was there. God had me by the shoulders and was giving me a little shake saying, "Jamie, listen up this is for you!!" I came out of that service knowing that God was really wanting to work with me and I needed to man (well woman) up and make some changes.

The sermon title was, “Love Isn’t Optional…” and I was called out about gossiping. The sermon wasn’t just about gossiping, but this small part of the sermon was like a neon light four feet from my face fllashing in bright green! The pastor said, “When you judge anyone else you have no sense of God. Your putting yourself above God.” When I heard that I was so disappointed in myself. I don’t want to be that person. I want to help others and by gossiping I am doing the opposite. This is my chance to change an ugly characteristic of myself.

In addition to this sermon, a couple days prior I was reading the book of James. Here are a couple of verses and phrases that jumped off the page:

“If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check….the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts…It (the tongue) corrupts the whole person…no man can tame the tounge…With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness.”
- James 3:2-5-6-8-9

It’s so true isn’t it? Such a small piece of us can be so hurtful. This isn’t the woman I want to be. By not doing some self-reflection after I felt God talking to me I would be so wrong. I am a woman of faith and my faith is based on love. I am going to make an effort to stop myself from being sucked into gossip. If you happen to hear me start with anything that is not uplifting, please be a friend and help me get back on track. ;) We were made by love to love… so I need to get started and turn a new leaf.

3 comments:

  1. Well said Miss Jamie! I see a lifestyle change in the immediate future for all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful first blog, Jamie. Can't wait until we can get together again. I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me and davie think you are the next oprah! we are gonna call you JOPRAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete